For businesses to use this method of communication, they must depend on updated and proven data. We compiled SMS marketing statistics relevant in 2020 to give ideas about how business texting can help them.
SMS Population Statistics
Let us take a peek at the popularity of SMS in 2020.
1. There are 48.7 million people who prefer receiving SMS business messages in 2020.
2020 is a year of opportunity for text message marketing. Although this number looks small compared to the world population, it is still a considerable number of people. Imagine having the ability to reach people with a personal touch in this challenging year.
Source: Text Local
2. There are 5 billion people in the world who can receive and send SMS messages.
This simple statistic gives you the idea that five out of seven people can use smartphones for communication. Although not everyone in the world has internet access, SMS reaches this number of people worldwide.
3. About 7.9 billion mobile subscriptions happened worldwide in 2019.
Humans have a natural urge to communicate with each other. Using SMS to get in touch with the whole world is near possible with this technology that we use today. Looking at these statistics, If each person has a smartphone in 2019, at least one subscribed, which means he can respond to a message.
4. More than 50% of consumers prefer using SMS to contact customer support.
Nobody wants to sit on hold, waiting for a business representative. But everyone loves to be notified! The solution to this dilemma is using SMS to reach out. It is practical, has a broader reach, and gives an option for people when to read. These statistics confirm this theory.
SMS Percentage Statistics
Now that we discovered how broad is the reach of SMS, let’s now view how efficient it is to reach people.
5. On average, people click 19% of SMS ads.
Some people are afraid of popping ads on the internet because of security issues. However, SMS doesn’t pose much threat. Imagine the number of people that may respond to your ads. It means that a bulk SMS messaging system is one of the best ways for lead generation online.
Source: Text Republic
6. About 45% of text message marketing receives a response.
Do you want to use SMS to ask what’s on the mind of your customers? Around 9 out of 20 will respond. It is considerable sample size for your survey!
Source: Marketing Profs
7. 97% of recipients read the recent text message within 15 minutes.
Almost all SMS users read a text within 15 minutes! That is an efficient way to make your business heard.
Source: Business 2 Community
8. Nearly 80% of smartphone users decide their shopping concerns based on SMS opt-in or similar mobile device services.
Emotions positively influence buying behaviors according to recent surveys. These statistics prove that the personal touch of SMS affects the buying decision of several customers.
SMS Comparison Statistics
Let us now compare how SMS performs together with other means of modern communication.
9. Compared to phone call response rates, SMS response rates are 295% higher.
Remember those movies that show Wall Street agents and brokers? Today, SMS can stand a better chance with them. Imagine an increase in sales and a decrease in labor when you resorted to bast texting prospective customers.
Source: Franchise Help
10. The open rate of SMS is nearly five times compared to email.
Previous surveys show that only 4.2% of emails result in clicks. This number is measly compared to the 19% mentioned earlier. This statistic shows that SMS offers a better opportunity to reach businesses.
Source: Adobe Blog
11. To reply to an email, an average person takes 90 minutes, but it only takes 90 seconds to respond to an SMS text.
it means that the SMS response rate is 60 times better than the email. Many parameters affect this statistic, such as safety issues, internet connection, and the conversation’s length.
12. Email marketing campaigns perform seven times less than SMS marketing campaigns.
Let’s consider the length of messages. Businesses can put fluff on emails, but they might sound straightforward on SMS. People may have no time to read that fluff, but they may love to read short yet honest messages.