Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) is one of the best ways for companies to get noticed and keep their existing customers engaged. MMS marketing campaigns also allow you to spice up your text messages by adding multimedia elements such as videos, images, and animations. In order to be effective, however, one has to implement the MMS campaign best practices.
Here are some tips that can help you create amazing MMS marketing campaigns:
1. Consider the Behavior of Your Audience
MMS messaging provides almost limitless opportunities for companies to get creative. However, the messaging channel is not for everyone. Keep in mind that certain mobile devices are not able to accept messages in MMS format. This is especially true when considering that not everyone owns a smartphone.
With that said, brands that are marketing to Gen-Z and Millennials can easily communicate with them through images and GIFs. In fact, MMS marketing might just be one of the best ways to reach them given that 75% of millennials prefer mobile text messaging.
2. Utilize MMS Only When Appropriate
You shouldn’t include MMS elements in all of your messages. It’s important to think about the purpose of the message thoroughly before adding the MMS aspect to it.
Generally speaking, MMS campaigns are great when added to creative promotions and campaigns. However, they can be seen as a little too much for simple messages, such as sending appointment updates or transactional information. These are often best suited for simple SMS messages.
3. Use Multimedia Content That Reinforces Your Brand
MMS campaigns allow marketers to get creative by using animations, GIFs, images, and videos in their messages. With several options to choose from, you can easily overdo it. That’s why it’s important to check with your creative team first to make sure that the message you send out reinforces the image your brand wants to maintain.
For example, people in the financial industry may not want to send out viral memes or GIFs to their clients. For those in the consumer lifestyle niche known for their tongue-in-cheek approach, on the other hand, these memes may just work out well for you.
4. Comply With MMS Imaging Requirements
Before you send out an MMS to your customers, you need to consider certain design requirements.
- The orientation of the image
- The format of the message
- The size of the file (no larger than 500kb)
- The aspect ratio (640px x 1138px or 1080px by 1920px)
You should review these parameters before you go ahead and send your MMS messages. You don’t want to send out an image that doesn’t meet these requirements only to find out later that it wasn’t delivered.
5. Ensure Correct Size and Format for MMS GIFs and Animations
Just like the MMS image design requirements, animations and GIFs that you plan to send out must also follow the specific size and dimension limits.
These specifications are:
- The content should not be transparent
- There’s a maximum of 3 to 4 FPS
- It doesn’t go past 520kb in size
- The file is in GIF format
- Animated GIFs are between 480 pixels x 480 pixels or 720 pixels x 480 pixels
6. Comply With Video Message Requirements
Besides images, GIFs, and animations, video messages should also follow a specific set of parameters and MMS campaign best practices.
- Around 2 to 3MB in file size (since 3.5MB is the maximum file size that can be accepted, depending on the device)
- Fewer than 20 seconds long. This ensures HD delivery on the majority of smartphones
- Has a maximum frame rate of 30 FPS
- Aspect ratio is 16:9
- Dimensions need to be 640px x 1138px in vertical and 1280px x 720px in horizontal
7. Test the MMS Campaign Before Sending
Just like with any marketing strategy, it’s always best to test an MMS campaign before you send it out.
You can start by messaging a test batch to your team and asking them to preview the graphics or images included. Check to ensure that the links work and review any issues in terms of formatting.
Try to test with a group that owns different Android and Apple devices from smartphones to tablets. In this way, you can see if your MMS messages are arriving as intended to your customers no matter the platform they use.
Following the MMS campaign best practices outlined above can help marketers create effective messages to the best of their abilities. With the help of platforms like Txtra, you can develop your marketing list, engage your contacts, and automate certain text processes with ease. You can check out how our platform works here!